Sending Pie Love Home


{Mitford Cookbook}
 



What I did last night...
I gave lots of love in the image of pies...
chicken pot pies...
I am not a touchy-feely, huggie-buggie, kissy-kissy type of person.
I show my love for family in other hidden ways.
 
And I pray they remember those hidden ways were my weak way of saying, "I love you."
 
This recipe is from one of the godmothers. She whipped them up and delivered them at Christmastime a couple years ago. A perfect gift and my family loved it!
 
It can be baked and eaten the day of preparation or left unbaked, wrapped, and frozen until one of those cold nights you need to pop something into the oven, have your whole house permeated with love, and feel like you're Paula Deen...or Rachael Ray...or Ree Drummond (whichever your favorite is ;-)

They can be given as gifts (as my daughter's godmother did), taken to a sick friend, or taken to a newly-wed child and her husband who are moving into a sweet little house next month, and we all know how hard it is to scratch up home cooking when you're packing boxes and transferring furniture.
 
Will the kids like? Will someone who doesn't care for chicken pot pie love it?
Let me just say that last night our one-year-old grandson finished off my bowl, ate a bowl of his own, then went and found one of the aunts and finished off her bowl.
So...yeah...they'll love it.
 
Chicken Pot Pie
(for the record, I tripled this recipe since I have children with homes of their own and a sweet friend who is undergoing chemo and who appreciates meals for her family when she is not able to cook)
 
4-5 boneless chicken breast
2 deep dish pie shells (1 package of 2--or--2 homemade)
2 flat pie shells
2 cans cream of potato soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can mixed vegetables
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 pepper
 
(adapted recipe for freezer meals or large family baking)
 
8-10 boneless chicken breast
6 deep dish pie shells (3 packages of 2--or--6 homemade)
6 flat pie shells
5 cans cream of potato soup
3 cans cream of chicken soup
3 cans mixed vegetables
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. pepper
 
Season and brown chicken breast and dice.
Mix all ingredients together and divide into pie shells.
Top each pie with flat crust. Remove excess and press edges together.
Bake at 375 degrees for about an hour (when top is brown).
Put foil around edges so they don't brown too much.
If you are freezing them, don't cook first.
 
{Tip: when you remove excess pie dough, chances are you'll have enough to roll out another pie.}

 

Comments