My Common Kitchen & Enchilada Recipe

I didn't go to Chick-fil-A today and it isn't that I don't support them.
We support them all year long.
Our friends operate the local joint and they are also a Catholic homeschooling family who believe and support the Christian values and ethics that has distinquished Chick-fil-A long before this past week.

I was proud to see so many Christians twitting and facing and going out in full support today to show their unity for Christian values and freedom of speech.

I knew had the girls and I gone we would have bumped into more than a few friends and enjoyed the comradary. We would have welcomed a loooong line in order to visit loooonger with friends and fellow Christians.
There were three things that kept me away this dayspring.
1) I knew the lines and crowds would be crazy and looooong.
2) The radical movie theatre shooting would not quiet itself in my mind. I am neither superstitious nor can I predict future events but I just didn't want to go there. Yeah, strange-O, I know. I just didn't want to go there. That's all.
3) I can (and will) continue to support Chick-fil-A. One day does not a make or break a business.

So this evening I stayed in my hazy kitchen and decided to make chicken and spinach enchiladas using a recipe my friend Lorena shared with me.
I only had a list of ingredients and flew with it. That properly qualifies me for grandma-status. :-)

My girls love this recipe so I thought I'd share it with friends.

I also thought I would share a picture of my hazy kitchen and how it looks when I'm working over a hot stove. ;-)

I am not the neatest cook but I do clean up as soon as my pans are popped into the oven.
My kitchen process strews pans and packages and plate across my limited countertop.
But I focus on the process instead of the mess.
People who are bothered by the mess don't do justice to a kitchen. I'm sure their kitchens don't see half the amount of cooking and baking that mine does.
So I welcome the mess.
In fact, I intentionally set-out to make sure my kitchen has productive, creative messes every week.

Lorena's Cheese and Spinach Enchilada's
Season approximately four chicken breasts.
Cook well and shred.
Put in bowl and mix with package of fiesta cheese (or cheddar---I use fiesta Mexican blend because I find it gives it more flavor), package of defrosted spinach, package of corn, and sliced mild chiles.


May use either corn or flour tortillas. I used both because of the picky eaters in my house.
Stuff tortillas, roll, and place in pan.

Whip small carton of heavy whipping cream slightly.
Add tiny bit of salt and small can of green chiles (I skipped the chiles today because we do not like spicy).
Pour over rolled tortillas.

Top with more feista (or cheddar) cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.


As soon as these came out of the oven, I snuck in two trays of fresh yeast rolls.
And there is a bowl of green seedless grapes on the counter as well.

August is officially here and it's only going to get hotter.
Makes me think of salads again.

My middle daughter made a wonderful brown sugar/citrus chicken salad the other day which I plan to share as soon as I locate the picture. ;-) 

Comments

  1. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe!!! And so do our children!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Wishing you and your family a blessed & GLORIOUS Holy Week & Easter!!! God Bless you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your Thoughtful Comments Matter