Breaking Bread with Cardinal Dolan

Cardinal Dolan explains his invitation, in his own words, to handshake President Obama at the Al Smith Dinner.

And I applaud his willingness to eat with would-be sinners and saints alike. I've already read some dialogue of Christians who are offended, upset, and in disbelief  that he would do such a thing despite this letter of explanation.

To me it's as simple as being graciously Catholic, generous with our time, our faith, and our discussion. Simple good manners, if you will, and good, honest civility which the world is greatly in need of. The Cardinal is right! People are tired of negativity and name calling. As mature Christians, can we not meet one another halfway with "positive, upbeat, patriotic, enjoyable, civil discourse"?

As mature Christians, I believe we can. As mature Americans, I believe we must.

It's a challenge, yes. Are we up for the challenge?

If we aren't then we may find ourselves sitting at the table alone and reaching no one in the process.

"In the end, I’m encouraged by the example of Jesus, who was blistered by his critics for dining with those some considered sinners; and by the recognition that, if I only sat down with people who agreed with me, and I with them, or with those who were saints, I’d be taking all my meals alone." ~ Cardinal Dolan

I have always believed in the breaking-bread-together mentality. If we do not sit and dine with positive, upbeat, patrioic, enjoyable, civil discourse than our neighbor will likely find someone who will. And they will sit and discuss us and our waays without our input or our clarity. It is better they sit at our table and taste the sweetness of Christian manna than to discuss a recipe they have never tasted. It is always better to break bread together.

Even Jesus broke bread with Judas.

Comments