Fill Your Vessel, Not Your Grave

My life is so full. Sometimes so full that I find myself in a room filled with boxes...boxes of projects and ideas and duties and obligations...and I feel trapped. My path to the window on the edge of the room appears blocked.


And I stand there ill-equipped, not knowing which box to open first. I stand undecisive, intimidated, unable to go forward, unable to execute a plan.


I've been this way for the better part of three years. I've had two people look me in the eyes and honestly ask me, "Why do you feel that way?"


I had no answer. And no excuse. It's their genuine concern that I remember, that filled the vessel God wants filled.


I've always loved Michael Hyatt's blog. Today's guest post by Todd Henry took me to the edge of my existence and, like the Ghost of Christmas Future showing Scrooge his own mortality and the seers at Fatima standing on the realm of a reality of useless living and unsung choices, made me face the box in front of me. Made me bend down. Made me open it.


Made me take a look.


And I found the box easy to open, easy to inspect, easy to unload. I'm ready for the next box. I'm creating a path to that window. I'm making my way. I refuse to let myself be buried by "...unfulfilled dreams, unwritten novels, masterpieces not created, businesses not started, relationships not reconciled."




* * * * * *

"I was in a meeting in which a South African friend asked, 'Do you know what the most valuable land in the world is?' The rest of us were thinking, 'Well, probably the diamond mines of Africa, or maybe the oil fields of the middle east?'



“ 'No,' our friend replied, 'it’s the graveyard, because with all of those people are buried unfulfilled dreams, unwritten novels, masterpieces not created, businesses not started, relationships not reconciled. THAT is the most valuable land in the world.'


Read the rest here: Why I Hope to Die Empty

* * * * * *

It's the motivation I needed to renew my personal goals, my personal commitments, my personal frame of mind.

Unlike the foolish servant who hide his talent while the master was away, I am ready to lay my treasures above the ground instead of below it. I don't want my grave to be any fuller than it needs to be.

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this. Definitely a worthwhile read. I do appreciate your writing and sharing what you find meaningful in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your Thoughtful Comments Matter