Zombies in the Bible?

You know how when your mother buys a new Chevy Equinox you see those cars everywhere? Or when your daughter gets a feather in her hair you start seeing girls with feathers in their hair everywhere? Or when those silly bantz came out they were everywhere! As are, from what I've heard, short-shorts chapped with cowboy boots this summer in Texas? Everywhere! Hope it doesn't breed over into Louisiana!

Back to a safer subject...my blog title: Zombies in the Bible?

For the past six months I've been seeing Zombies everywhere! Even in the Bible.

I'm not kidding...

It started with this silly well-known classic: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I'm sorry but I think those well-known classics featuring zombies, vampires, and sea monsters are just silly. Like my friend Karen says...just plain silly. I prefer my "classic" stand-bys.

Then...again...I haven't read any of them...the zombie ones, I mean...so you might want to purge my brain with what I'm missing...if, in fact, I'm missing anything. Prove me wrong. I love when people do that and, honestly, it isn't that hard. ;-)

The other day I spoke to a young teenager who loves the stories and gets the classics because he enjoys these books. How do you argue with enthusiasm? In today's technological world, I guess there are as many ways to get a classic as there are to read them. Technology is mind-boggling and I'm sure the zombies get that. Indeed they have.

Speaking of zombies...

Last November Gary Goldstein, a New York editor, spoke at the Bayou Writer's 2010 Conference. He told everyone that, despite what we assume, vampires are not the rage which is haunting book publishing houses. Zombies have tackled them and eaten their poor hearts out.


So it came as no small surprise to me when I saw that a government agency is cautioning us to get Ready for a Zombie Apocalypse?


The brains, if you please, behind this consists of this:

"He and his communications team (Khan, one of the nation's top-ranking public health professionals) recently noticed, what they'd want you to do if the world really did suddenly go "Night of the Living Dead" is pretty much the same thing they'd want you to do in case of a hurricane or a major pandemic."

Cute marketing ploy. Very cute.

See what I'm saying! Zombies are everywhere! Even, yes, in the Bible.

Last month during Lent several church members were reading the Gospel according to Matthew at our Lenten Come, Lord Jesus! Bible StudyIt was the reading for Palm Sunday and, something I had never grasped before, took hold of me:

"The earth quaked, rocks were split, tombs were opened, and the bodies of many saints who had fallen asleep were raised. And coming forth from their tombs after his resurrection, they entered the holy city and appeared to many." (Matthew 27:51-53)

See! See what I mean! Strange things have happened upon this earth of ours. Even zombies!

But, in the here and now, my family isn't sitting around, anxiously awaiting zombies or vampires or the predicted Apocalypse on May 21, 2011. We have a college graduation to go to and some of my kids have jobs they must go to.

As Christians we will live our lives on Saturday the same as we live them everyday. The same as we are living them today...tonight.

Zombies and vampires do not have the life of Christ within them.

We do.

Zombies and vampires are not real.

Christ is!

Comments