God Speaks to Us...His Servants

  
"[Jesus] commissioned us to preach to the people and testify that he is the one appointed by God as judge of the living and the dead.
Holiness and prayer are the keys to evangelization." ~ Magnificat

9 months ago, my pastor called me into his office to meet with him and one of our deacons.
They were looking for a new DRE.
Was I interested?

 "As Christians we are called to be apostles and share the Gospel of Christ." ~ Magnificat

At first I said no.

 "Sometimes we don't feel at all qualified for this task." ~ Magnificat

Then my husband told me to at least go and hear what Father had to say.
Perhaps find out why my name had even made the list.
He would support me, whatever I chose to do.

We are not alone! ~ Magnificat

I went in humbly enough. Just to hear their needs and concerns.
I had taught first grade for one year and fourth grade for four years.
There was my niche. There was my calling.

I had found my comfort zone.
I saw no reason to leave it.

"The prophet Jeremiah and the apostle Paul felt the same way. ...Their method was simple..." ~ Magnificat

Outside of my family and homeschooling community, I saw no need to do more.
The last two DREs (both more qualified and organized than I) had lasted a total of four years (two years each).
Trepidation, anyone?

"They trusted in God and let the Holy Spirit speak through them." ~ Magnificat

I told my pastor flat out I had never felt the call to be a DRE.

"When we reach out to the weak, going to them in our own weakness, we become truly 'the light of the world.' "

Our pastor laughed enthusiastically. With a roar. The kind of throw-back-your-head-and-laugh-a-deep-throat-laugh.

I wondered what I had said that was so funny and looked at the deacon for a clue.
He merely smiled, nodded his head, and scratched a note on his paper.
And they continued with the proposal. The job description. The offer.
The purpose. The mission. The appeal. 

"Jesus said to his disciples: 'You are the salt of the earth. ...You are the light of the world. ...Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.' " ~ Matthew 5:13

9 months ago I accepted a position as DRE in my parish church.
22 Teachers.
Approximately 200 students.

"Our Lord commands, 'Your light must shine before others.' The prophet Isaiah promises that if we share our bread with the hungry, shelter the oppressed and the homeless, clothe the naked, and do not turn our back on our own, then our 'light shall break forth like the dawn.' " ~ Magnificat

Compared to other area parishes with 400-600-800 students, our religious ed program is small and contained.
I like that.
I like small. I like contained.

That is who I am. Small. Contained.

"Our lives are constantly bound up with those of other people in some way or another." ~ Abbot Dom Anscar Vonier, O.S.B.

And what of, some people who know me well might ask, my lack of knowledge, my lack of experience, my lack of skills, my lack of organization, my lack of degrees, and my stumbling usage of words outside the written page?

"When I came to you, brothers and sisters, proclaiming the mystery of God, I did not come with sublimity of words or of wisdom. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear and much trembling, and my message and my proclamation were not with persuasive words of wisdom, but with a demonstration of Spirit and power, so that your faith might rest not on human wisdom but on the power of God." ~ Letter of Saint Paul to the Corinthians 2:1-5

Whether I continue ten months at this position, two years, or ten years...I am to always remember that nothing is said, taught, or happens outside of His will. 

As long as I take this position upon my weak, fearful, trembling shoulders and know it is all done for His will, His honor, His glory, His power, His majesty...

...then it is All Good! All Grace! All Holy!

Comments

Post a Comment

Your Thoughtful Comments Matter